Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Kodagu (Coorg) Trip > 29 APR (Day 3)

I left the hotel at 5.00 AM. took ring road and reached the Hunsur road. A 10 KM stretch from ring road is in a worst shape (Good for my bike!) and probably thats why everybody advised me not to go to Madikeri. after that stretch road is excellent till Kushalnagar. I took first major break at piriyapattana. The 20 KM stretch till piriyapattana was the tough one. It was just climb, climb and climb for 20 KM. The gradients were not very steep but very very long stretches. Did breakfast at Piriyapattana and took rest for half an hour. Kushalnagar is around 25 KM from here. This was easy ride.




5 KM before Kushalnagar you get a diversion to go to Bylakuppe on your left. Take that road and go for 6 KM you will reach Golden Temple. Bylakuppe hosts Refugee camp for Tibetians. Here you will feel as if you are in Tibet! The golden temple is a must see. This has become a crowded place, still worth a visit. Had good (actually heavy) lunch at Bylakuppe. Kushalnagar is just 4 KM from here. I reached Kushalnagar at 2 PM. I decided to halt here since getting accommodation at Dubare was next to impossible. Also Nisargadhama is just 3 KM from Kushalnagar. So I could visit it and come back.


Nisargadhama is a man made island formed by diverting the flow of Kaveri. you can do boating, take elephant ride, take a dip in Kaveri and take a walk in the woods. Again it was too much of crowd here. people talking on mobile phones, lots of plastic/ garbage. yack...
Came back to lodge and took a bath. this lodge wasn't that good but ok for 120 Rs. there are quite few decent lodges in Kushalnagar. I realized that I need to shave while looking at the mirror. I was not carrying shaving kit to reduce weight. This was the first time in my life that someone else shaved my beard! That guy used 1/10 th the shaving cream I normally use and rubbed it for 15 mins to get enough foam out of it. whooosh.... Next time I won't mind carrying that extra 100g weight :-)

Getting accommodation was going to be difficult in this tourist season so best option was to go to Madikeri next day. From outlook guide I figured out that there is a road from Siddapur to Madikeri. Siddapur is known for coffee estates. Plan was to stay in Siddapur if I get home stay at all or reach Madikeri.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home