Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Kodagu (Coorg) Trip > 27 APR (Day 1)


Breeze was cool and there was no traffic on the road towards Banashankari (except few ubiquitous call center cabs). I took slow start and was checking gear shifters / breaks in between. A autowalah esquired where I was going for which I had no definite answer so just kept peddling. After I crossed Banashankari Big Bazaar there is a big slope, I was riding very fast now and suddenly hit a wide speed breaker, I could not see it. I applied both breaks but front one is pretty strong. As a result the rear wheel went up in the air about a feet! I released the breaks and managed to hold the handle bar steadily at that speed. Landed safely and came a big scream from bottom of my stomach! this was awesome and sent jitters in the spine!

At around 5.00 AM I reached Rajrajeshwari Dental collage after which I saw the first milestone "Mysore 129" took a snap here. My immediate target was Ramnagaram. I reached there at around 6 AM and took 5 mins break. I wanted to eat something but shops were not open yet so kept peddling. The view of the hills was awesome. This is the place where "Sholay" was shot. I didn't take any pictures on the way at many beautiful spots b'coz I had to take the camera out of bag and keep it back which loses the momentum and flow. I guess there will be a camera mount accessory for mounatin bike.

Next stop was at Channapattana. took a 15 min break, eat two banana and had water. The shop keeper asked politely why are you cycling? and my face was blank... Peddled for another hour and I reached Maddur at 8 AM, the place famous for vada. I had breakfast at Maddur Tiffany which is just off the road, pretty decent place. After upload and download headed to Mandya, 40+ KM from Maddur. I was in Mandya at around 10.45. The saddle post was getting loose. I had misplaced the Allen key at home. Which is enough to fix 95% screws on my bike. Got the Allen key at one cycle shop and fixed the saddle. This cycle mechanic was extremely impressed with bikes design and its simplicity.

After Mandya you can see lot of paddy fields around you. Looks absolutely green everywhere even in the midst of summer. Now it was getting hot and hotter and it was climb till Srirangapattana. I had tender coconut water at few places but that doesn't really quench the thirst. Only and only water can quench the thirst and bring back energy in this heat. I could get cold packaged mineral water every now and then on express highway. 1 liter of water was the fuel for me :-)


"Mysore 12 KM", thats when I realized that I have done it! another half an hour peddling and I was in the city. I reached Mysore at around 1.30 PM. Decided to stay at lodge, had enough time for rest before going to reception.
Got a decent lodge near bus stand for 300 Rs/ night. Food was delicious at Abhishek's wedding reception and live carnatic instrumental music relaxed me completely.

Parking my bike makes me nostalgic. it always worries me at the back of my mind. The lodge did not had parking space. Found out a paid parking garage and paid him 30 Rs for 2 days! I went to sleep still thinking if bike will be safe there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home