Thursday, October 13, 2005

My first solo trip


This is the first time I traveled alone on a trip. I had no choice actually. Rather than sitting alone at home on Dasara holiday I decided to visit Sringeri.
This was a totally unplanned trip. I just got lucky to get a seat in KSRTC bus to Sringeri which goes via Chikmaglur. Otherwise I was planning to go to Shimoga and there on to Sringeri.
The bus left Bangalore at 9 PM and reached Sringeri at 7 AM. The scenery is awesome from Chikmaglur.
Sringeri Sharda  peetha was established by Adi Shankara in 8th century.
on the banks of Tunga river.  If you are interested in the history browse
wikipedia .

After visiting temple and mutt on the other bank I returned to my lodge, slept for an hour I had around half day available. Agumbe is just 26 KM from here, Karkal around 60 KM. I decided to visit Agumbe and even boarded the bus. Soon I realized that I don'’t know what to do there (and could not find anything in my “Outlook 52 weekend guide”). Very reluctantly I extended my ticket to Shimoga. I am sure I will return for Agumbe -– Sringeri trek this season.

It took me almost four hours to reach Shimoga. From there I got bus to Bangalore and reached at around 3 AM. Painfully spent next 2 hours waiting for city bus. Memories of our Kukke Subramanya trek suddenly flooded my mind.

When you are on your own you don'’t have to wait for anybody or build a consensus. Stop where you want or jump on. But you need to do a bit more research before setting off. I think I need to be talkative while on the go.
Do I want to go solo on my next trip? Hmmm not sure really ... This should be a last option.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home